The theology of Safe Harbor Ministry is easily stated in the words of the Apostle’s Creed:
I believe in God, the Father Almighty, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:
Who was conceived of the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended into hell.
The third day He arose again from the dead.
He ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty, whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy universal church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting.
The vision of Safe Harbor Lighthouse comes from the book of Hebrews 6:13-20 (NIV):
13When God made his promise to Abraham, since there was no one greater for him to swear by, he swore by himself, 14saying, “I will surely bless you and give you many descendants.”15And so after waiting patiently, Abraham received what was promised.
16Men swear by someone greater than themselves, and the oath confirms what is said and puts an end to all argument. 17Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of his purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised, he confirmed it with an oath. 18God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged. 19We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain, 20where Jesus, who went before us, has entered on our behalf. He has become a high priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek.
The mission of Safe Harbor Lighthouse rests on the promise of God Almighty that He will carry us through the trials of this life into His eternal rest in our heavenly home. In keeping with that Hope, we seek to fulfill the five-fold ministry:
- as apostles to be messengers of Christ through the power of the Holy Spirt;
- as prophets called by God to hear His voice and to speak that given message to the people, both to the individual and to the body;
- as evangelists to bring the message of the Gospel to encourage non-believers in the Hope that is Christ Jesus, that they shall confess with their mouths the Lord Jesus Christ and shall believe in their hearts that God raised Him from the dead, that they shall be saved (Romans 10:9-10);
- as pastors to encourage believers in His Grace that perseveres through the storms of life, to encourage believers to lay hold always upon the immovable anchor of Christ Jesus, the means of our salvation, and
- as teachers to encourage believers in the active ministry and in the gifts of the Holy Spirit.
The believer is to be a lighthouse for the lost, and Jesus our Safe Harbor.